Monday, February 2, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire @ The Oscars !

A lot of bouquets & brickbats around "Slumdog". I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I read 'Q&A' by Vikas Swarup around 2 years back and enjoyed reading the book. It definitely had a bollywood touch to it and I recommended the book to friends as a fun read.

Booked tickets for the nite show of Slumdog on Feb 1, 2009 @ Lido Fame Cinemas. I was hoping to watch a decent replication of 'Q&A' but was disappointed from the very beginning. The movie did not have anything to keep my attention on the screen. My mind kept wandering and comparing the few stories that were adapted from the book. It made me wonder how this movie made it to the Oscars.

Talking about ARR's music, I think he has composed some classy tunes in zillion other movies and his music for 'Slumdog' can be easily forgotten. Being a die-hard fan of ARR, it makes me sad to see him getting nominated for such mediocre work.

In my mind, the comments made about showcasing Mumbai badly are totally baseless. I think we must accept reality I see no wrong in what was shown of Mumbai. However, I would agree with most critics and especially ace director Priyadarshan who has lashed Slumdog as a mediocre, trashy version of erstwhile bollywood movies.

I feel no sense of pride in 'Slumdog' making it to the Oscars. Well, thats my personal opinion and if you are reading this, its well within your rights to disagree ;)

Here is a small list of my favorite movies that could have represented India for the 'most prestigious award'
- Thanmatra (Malayalam, featuring Mohanlal)
- Anbe Sivam (Tamil, featuring Kamal Hassan)
- Taare Zameen Par (Hindi, featuring Aamir Khan)
- Shwass (Marathi, did get nominated but did not win)

4 comments:

Darrin said...

Oh, Come on!!! Now i've GOT to see the movie....!!!!

Laksh said...

Arun, my first time here. I understand where you are coming from. Having lived away from India for about 7 yrs now, I see why Slumdog appealed to the non-indian audience. The movie was made with them in mind. To appreciate the nuances of a movie, you have to be immersed in the culture. I have not seen the other movies you have mentioned but for Anbe Sivam and I am very sure to 'get' anbe sivam you must have experienced life in India.

Where Slumdog really makes a mark in the non indian audience (IMO) is the candid camera type of story telling, vibrant colors, the feeling of seeing something 'as-is' and reinforcing whatever stereotypes people have about India.

Sorry for the long comment but wanted to write :)

Drun said...

Hi Lakshmi,

Nice to read your opinion. Like I said, each one to his/her own :-D

I did read your blog on Slumdog.

Unknown said...

I second that Arun. I dint find the move impressive to acclaim such Kudos. It portrays India in a very pessimistic way which really blew my top off. We have a huge poverty level but not to an extent where the lover class is put down.

The child actors were sufficient and Irrfan Khan, Saurabh Shukla kept the movie going, otherwise the cast was just a squander.

“Jai Ho” , the rest dint impress at all.

It’s just that a “firang” directed the movie or we wouldn’t have even known of such a flick.